Saturday, September 13, 2008



The quintessential Hawaiian experience. Yes, that's me -the Blue Hawaiian. Standing up. On a surfboard. Not bad for someone who gets near the ocean almost never.

Surfing was the most fun I have had in a long time, and for me, I found it as easy as skiing and way easier than snowboarding. Honest. It was lay down, hop up and stand up.

I went with Hawaii Firefighters. They run a great lesson in small groups on a quiet beach on an army base. What you don't see are the hunky instructors helping to paddle us out, and the push at the exact moment to catch a wave. That is the real secret to success for us wannabes.

It sure is an authentic Hawaiian experience, and allowed me to find my inner zen water baby. It makes one want to travel the world, chasing the perfect wave.

I am now on Kauai, and finding winter weather has arrived so our desired kayak trip may not happen...however, it does mean another go at surfing for me. Funny how weather can dictate one's activities, just like in our mountain home!

1 comment:

wagsnriches said...

You really look and sound like you are in your own element, Christy! Much though I love to swim, I am terrrified of big waves, so my hat is off to you for trying a new experience.