Anini Beach first off. Great big wide sandy beach, campground and some very swanky beach homes, most also for rent.
Snorkelling was good - saw needlenose fish, eels, tangs and other colorful creatures. I was keeping one eye on shore as I could feel a bit of a current, but the area was shallow and all enclosed in a reef. We shared the beach with surfers playing on the outside of the reef. Not a bad way to start the day!
We then had to figure out what to do since it seemed iffy for four boat trip, the whole reason for going. We chose to do a 4 hour zodiac trip as some of the other options were booked or way more money.
I also felt the need to unleash my inner surfer girl again so signed for a 2 hour private lesson. Seemed the sensible solution since surf's up in Hanalei Bay for the winter.
We drove to the other side of the island, Poipu, later in the afternoon, for a snorkel at Poipu Beach Park. The beach itself is quite small, but the variety of fish in a small stretch of reef and tidepools was incredible. There were lots of waves, but again, the reef stopped the big crashes. We did get moved around by the current, and you could shoot from one side to the other with the waves. We also sat on the beach, letting the waves bounce us around. I collected about 2 lb of sand in my suit and kayaking gloves!
No comments:
Post a Comment