Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Na Pali Coast




So sightseeing by Zodiac was not our 1st choice. Kind of reminds me of another Sept. trip out to Pac Rim, when a blown-up bridge, boat service cut backs and a brewing storm all combined to shorten a kayak trip in the Broken Group.

We zoomed past miles of empty beach, occupied by a Navy Base, which restricts access to locals with no criminal convictions (!), and another beach accessible only by 4WD. The views were spectacular along the coast. At our first stop, I spotted a ginormous sea turtle surfacing for air.

I wish I could say I took these photos, but alas, my camera busted and has to be returned for repair. Was I ever choked though when the boat company photo guy used the EXACT SAME camera! I will stop whining about it now...
Huge cliffs rising straight up out of the water,





Sea caves to explore



and lush green valleys occupied by Hawaiians a couple of hundred years ago.

Our captain could use some guiding tips - like he kept talking about the cliffs when we were all gawking at the sea turtle, and would share the most salacious aspects of native Hawaiian culture without any context or reasons. Too rough to go into the sea caves too. Also, we were let off for a swim at lunch, but ordered not to stray too far away from the boat and get back in FAST! Mind you, we weren't far from the spot where Ms. Hamilton's shark attack took place so good reason to be cautious. I just can't help myself from noting this as it is my profession.

No comments: