On our flight we noted a young women seated just behind us. I noticed that she was missing her left arm, and Ted remembered reading about her. She was attacked by a shark when she was 13, survived, starting surfing again within a month, and is now a pro surfer. A very inspiring tale of determination and courage.
Here's her website: http://www.bethanyhamilton.com/ if you are interested in more.
We arrived in Hanalei, checked into our cottage and went to see about kayaking the Na Pali Coast. A storm hit the Pacific Northwest so the swells are reaching here - trip may or may not go Friday or Saturday: stay tuned.
A drive out to Ke'e Beach and the start of the Na Pali hiking trail was neat, but the beach was closed to swimming and snorkelling. The waves are just too high, and the current pretty strong.
Even though our lives are dictated by weather, and we deal with it all the time, it is a rude reminder of how all your holiday plans can be turned upside down by Mother Nature.
Ted & I walked down to our beach, Hanalei Beach so I could have a quick dip. We also watched some surfers, probably locals, just hanging in the bay catching waves. It seems to be a very democratic sport - I have seen all ages, shapes and sizes heading out with boards. We watched a little keikei (kid) of about 4 or 5 catch some waves with his dad. Too cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment