Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Rufus is our hero after a (mis)adventure

A couple of weeks ago, I had a little misadventure trying to get to Calgary in bad weather and very icy road conditions. Seems I got sideways and went off the road in my SUV. Rufus was sitting on the side of the highway waiting for someone to help when the RCMP drove by looking for another accident. They stopped, and he led them right to my vehicle.

I was driver side down in the ditch before Sunshine ski area, trying to cut the seat belt as it was pushing on my 32 week pregnant belly, and call for help, when the RCMP were at my window asking if I was OK, and anyone in the vehicle. I had no idea where Rufus was, or even that he had left the car, or that he got help for me.

I cut the seatbelt with the RCMP’s knife, and then waited for extrication by fire and EMS. It is a bit disconcerting to hear power tools starting up when you have to be covered by a blanket in case of broken glass. Within the hour, I was in Banff Mineral Springs Hospital listening to the heartbeat and looking at an ultrasound. We were kept under observation for the day in Canmore and sent home the same day, with nothing except a shiner on my right eye that is slowly disappearing.

Rufus was not injured in any way, and spent the morning entertaining the RCMP members & staff in Banff, and was sent away with my husband with an “evidence bag” of dog treats.

I have learned that just because we are used to poor road conditions living here, that we should always head out. Plans can always be changed, and no matter what we do, we should always be mindful of weather and road conditions.

I feel very fortunate to have walked away from the incident, and incredibly grateful to RCMP, Banff Fire and EMS, Banff Mineral Springs ER, Dr Jane Fowke and the hospital staff in Canmore for the quick response and the high quality care baby and I received. Also my colleagues who phoned or stopped by and our friends who visited with a flying squirrel for Rufus, a dinky truck for us and some flowers.

He really is our hero after that! And as you can see, he didn't miss a beat enjoying his hero toy.

No comments: