Thursday, May 14, 2009

Country mouse in the city

Being in an actual city has been quite novel. It is weird to be at a store in about 20 minutes or less. Yet I still find myself planning - where the store is, what it might have in stock and on sale. Old habits die hard. Could also be that when you do 2 grad courses in three weeks, there's not a lot of spare time...or energy when over 34 weeks pregnant.

Highlights included the Old Stratchcona Farmer's Market, wished I had a bigger fridge to take home more delicacies, fresh veggies and some bison meat. Also a very strategic trip to West Edmonton Mall in search of comfortable shoes without laces - had success on that score, and have been very happy with them. The Mall is big enough you have to have a map, and know where you want to go, and remember which entrance you came in to find your car. I walked by the skating rink, but it had just been flooded so no one was out skating. And of course a couple of trips to baby stores and grocery stores.

Also weekend time spent in my favorite cafe, Good Earth (also in Calgary) drinking Red Vanilla Lattes or Frappe. Essentially Rooibos tea and milk. Breakfast paninis and the occasional treat. And I can't forget the gelateria downstairs from our classes that had 79!! flavours of gelato on offer - I managed to sample about 6 or so, and another gelateria 2 blocks from residence - sampled 4 of their flavours. Definitely will miss the gelato.

Things that took adjusting to included city noises - garbage pick ups at 6 am on the weekend, sirens all night (not far from downtown), fluorescent lights, not much outdoor time, public transit to get to classes. Though I did enjoy the view from the LRT of the North Saskatchewan River, and the High Level Bridge. Check out the picture from flickr. I never did manage to get one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/one42chrisp/136399807/

No comments: