Spring arrived while I was gone - no more snow or wet patches, shrubs just about to burst, hummingbirds and songbirds flitting about. And of course, a subadult grizzly bear lurking at the far end of one our dog-walking trails. One of the sure signs of spring in the mountains is the calypso orchids sprouting up in damp coniferous forest areas - they tend to grow in clumps. Here's a quick shot:
This is my favorite time of year as the temperature starts to rise, the air has a soft, gentle quality and it is sunny out forever as we move closer to solstice. Also trails and campground not quite full with the rush of summer visitors, but a few more around than in winter.
And we have walked most of his favorite walks, allowing him to "read the newspaper" and mark everything with a "I live here stamp" again. Sadly for him, I am not able to walk as fast as he would like, and it is the time of year when he is on a leash due to bears. Our good friends took him for a walk on the weekend and really tired him out so he appreciated that and slept soundly that night. He too is enjoying the spring weather, relaxing outside in the shade as I work away on my remaining assignments:
In some ways, I too am resting up and getting ready for our most exciting arrival. Car seat is installed, furniture is ready, clothes need to get washed and the house tidied up, but all that happens between naps and eating!
No comments:
Post a Comment